Jun 11, 2009

Passou?

Passou? No vestibular? Na casa de alguém? Mal? Dever de casa? Tudo isso em inglês tem verbos diferentes, acredite!

Passar mal = feel sick; be sick.
Exemplos:
- Oh, I think there was something wrong with that hot dog I ate...I think I'll be sick.
- Please, don't be sick in my car!

- Do you feel sick on planes?
- No, rarely.

Passar no vestibular (ou em qualquer outra prova/teste) = pass the test.
Exemplos:
- I'm sure I'll pass the college entrance exam. I've been studying for months and my results on the simulated tests were great.
- Do you think mom will pass her driving test easily?
- Probably. She's prepared.

Passar na casa de alguém = drop by; pass by.
Exemplos:
- I'll drop by Alex's to see how he's doing. He sounded pretty upset on the phone.
- When I looked at the street, I saw my friend's black Mercedez pass by. Too bad she didn't see me to offer me a ride!

Passar dever/trabalho de casa = assign homework/school work.
Exemplos:
- The teacher loves to assign loads of school work before a holiday! That's awful!
- Are you going to assign this paper as homework?

A propósito, "trabalho da escola" é "school work" e é incontável em inglês (non countable noun).

Há outros contextos em que usamos "passar". Por exemplo:

"Logo, logo isso vai passar. Não se preocupe." = "Soon this will be over/will pass. Don't worry."

"É melhor passar bloqueador solar. Não quero ficar toda queimada!" = "I'd better put some sunscreen on. I don't want to get sunburned!"

"Odeio passar vergonha!" = "I hate to feel embarrassed/be ashamed."

"É melhor passar este texto a limpo." = "We should rewrite this text."

"Vamos passar um tempo na praia." = "We're going to spend some time on the beach."

"Adoro ler para passar o tempo." = "I love reading to pass the time/kill time."

"Este anel passou de uma geração à outra." = "This ring is a handdown from one generation to the other." "This ring has been handed down from one generation to another."

"Por favor, passe esta informação adiante." = "Please, pass this information on (to everybody)."


Espero não ter esquecido de nenhum...mas, se passou algum despercebido (went unnoticed), por favor me falem.






No comments: